Sunday, September 30, 2012

Never stop writing...

An author friend of mine, Jean Joachim, told me to write and keep writing. It was the best advice I have ever been given. So, yesterday I wrote 4,300+ words and so far today I am over 2,100 words. 

I am excited to say that my book is coming along a lot better than I could have ever dreamed and my plan for publishing in time for the holidays is within my grasp.

For anyone out there with writer's block or simply feeling discouraged, here are some things that have helped me:
       1). Don't stop writing. In the beginning I opened multiple Word windows and had different stories on different pages. I have since combined the majority of those into the main body of the book. It helps to put all of your thoughts on paper...you may use them later.

       2). Get someone to read your stuff. Not the entire story and not so that they can edit it for you. Have someone read some of it so that you know that your ideas are being conveyed properly.  I had my mother and aunt read a portion of my book without telling them that it was an Urban Fantasy. Both of them read Koontz, Patterson, Childs, Higgins-Clark, etc. After reading the 2,800 word excerpt they were calling me and asking for more. 

                b). Get someone who is not related to you to read it for clarity. Family members tend to love what you do, just look at how many parents allow their kids to go on American Idol when they know full well that they can't sing!

        3). Copyright your story. This should have been #2 but I am writing these in the order that I have done them. There are some simple ways to Copyright your story. An old trick is to send it to yourself in certified mail and never open it. Another way is to file the paperwork with the Copyright offices. http://www.copyright.gov/eco/. There is also a new way to do it online. My Free Copyright (dot) com will copyright all of your blog or website's content every time you post or update.  http://www.myfreecopyright.com/


         4). When you feel a block coming on, go online to look at blogs. Be very careful that you don't start reading stories that are closely related to yours so that you don't inadvertently start to write that story. See what other authors are doing for promotions...and what reviewers are saying about the books they've read. Look for cover ideas. A book IS judges by it's cover, regardless of what people say.

         5). Write the story that you want to read next. If you find it entertaining, odds are that others will as well.



Happy writing!

1 comment:

  1. How I became a happy woman again
    With tears of joy and happiness I am giving out my testimony to all viewers on line, my problem with Stomach Cancer stage IB and HIV has caused me many pains and sadness especially in my family.
    I was so afraid of loosing my life, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting
    therapy hundreds of times, unfortunately they did not find a definitive solution to my problem, I cried all day and night, do I have to live my life this way? I searched all true the internet for care, I was scammed by internet fraudsters times without numbers… until a friend of mine who stays in the UK introduced me to a friend of hers who was cured of the same disease, and she introduced me to Dr Itua who cured her from Breast Cancer by this email/WhatsApp +2348149277967,  drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com. I contacted him and he promised that all will be fine and I had faith.He sent me his herbal medicines through Courier service and i was instructed on how to drink it for three weeks to cure,I followed the instruction given to me and Today am a happy woman again. He cures all kind of diseases like,Brain cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Ovarian cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma,Herpes,,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis,Intestinal cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Hiv,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia.

    ReplyDelete